Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Actress Ranjitha files police complaint against Sun TV,

Ranjitha complains against Sun TV

CHENNAI, July 12: Actor Ranjitha has filed a complaint with the police commissioner against Sun Network, Tamil daily Dinakaran and magazine Nakkeeran for allegedly morphing and telecasting videos that showed her in compromising positions with godman Nityananda. Without naming anyone, she said some people tried to blackmail her.

She wanted the government to take stringent action against these media houses. "They threatened me saying that if I come to Chennai I will be arrested . While a newspaper in Britain is condemned for hacking telephones, here, in the name of investigative journalism , they have placed video cameras inside an ashram and yet no action has been taken," she said.

When asked about the delay in filing the complaint, the actor said she did not believe that the previous government would take action against the accused. "The change in the government has given me the courage to come out and demand action. I am an ordinary person with no political backing. People told me that if I had filed a complaint earlier, the then government would have taken action against me," Ranjitha told reporters at a hotel in the evening, hours after she met the police commissioner.

She requested chief minister J Jayalalithaa to look into the issue immediately and ensure that legal action is taken. Ranjitha had left the country on March 3, 2010 after she was allegedly threatened and a controversial sleaze video of her with Nityananda was telecast by TV channels. The complaint comes close on the heels of the one made by Nityananda's ashram against Sun Network's chief operating officer Hansraj Saxena and Kalanithi Maran.

Clad in a white sari with golden border, the actress walked into the press conference she had convened in a hotel, half an hour late. At times she had arguments with reporters. When a reporter asked why she was complaining now, she retorted: "When I didn't complain, you asked why I didn't ; now when I am complaining, you ask me why I am complaining."

No comments:

Post a Comment